- You've watched your son's or daughter's substance use go from "typical" to "troublesome" to "scary."
- You've tried every parenting strategy in your toolbox, but frankly, nothing has worked.
- You've explored programs or treatment options, but you're overwhelmed and confused.
- You don't want to think it's that bad, but every time you think things are improving, there's another crisis.
If any of that sounds familiar, then you already know how hard it is for a family to get quality advice and support. That is precisely why we created Parenting Through Addiction ~ The Other PTA.
Parenting Through Addiction provides an affordable, accessible, convenient online way for parents to learn about substance use and how to address it at all stages on the journey.
Members engage with other parents who understand the full range of emotions; access resources to help know when, how and where to go for treatment; learn through online courses; and get daily inspiration and hopeful engagement.
With the opportunity to learn, connect and identify resources, parents feel more equipped, less alone and better prepared to parent through addiction towards recovery.
PTA is staffed by addiction specialists with 40+ years of experience helping both those who have developed addiction and the families who love them. Ginny and her husband are also proud parents of a daughter in recovery. Having professional knowledge didn't prevent her addiction, but it sure helped them know how to parent on her journey and how to take care of themselves. Ginny and the PTA consulting team work together with parents to help them do the same thing.
If you're like most parents we've worked with, it's likely that you are:
- Looking for answers and wanting to know more about what you can do to help (and what not to do that might hurt).
- Feeling more and more isolated as you pull away from old friends and family, rarely going out on weekends or taking vacations, and increasingly reluctant to share what's going on in your family.
- Getting more and more afraid as you watch and wait for the "rock bottom" you hope will finally get your child's attention.
When to Worry That Their Drug/Alcohol Use is More Than "Just a Phase"
Sign up to get this free report sent straight to your inbox.
"Ginny Mills and her staff are extremely caring and helpful. They know what it is like to feel lost, scared, and not know where to turn for help for addiction. They look at each situation, what the immediate needs are, and develop a plan.... Ginny helped save my family and gave us hope again."
In Parenting Through Addiction, you will discover:
- Daily Devotional email written by parents, for parents
- Inspirational posts on private Facebook group
- Information on private Facebook group about how to advocate for treatment & recovery policy changes
- Powerful insights from young adults in recovery, treatment centers and from other parents gathered from surveys
Education & Resources
- Family education courses for parents at all stages on the journey ~ from discovery all the way through to recovery
- eBook on Understanding Addiction Treatment & Aftercare
- Video Parent Guides on topics chosen by parents
- Eligibility for customized treatment matching services based on your child's needs, preferences and resources
- Invitation to a closed Facebook group
- Weekly live, online parent groups
- Eligibility to participate in family retreats
- Eligibility for LIVE, online consultation sessions with an assigned family recovery consultant
- Individualized assistance with matching your son's or daughter's needs, preferences and resources with appropriate resources
- Individualized assistance identifying local resources for parents
About the Founder: Ginny Mills, MAEd,LPC-S, LCAS
Ginny has been counseling with adults, adolescents, and parents and leading relapse prevention groups for over 25 years. She is the founder of Full Life Counseling & Recovery since its inception in 2008. Recognizing just how many parents lack access to hope, education, consultation and support, she developed Parenting Through Addiction: The Other PTA to meet that need for families everywhere. Click here to learn more about Ginny and the consulting team
Answers to some frequently asked questions from parents like you
I'm kind of confused. So, is this counseling, or what?! Exactly what is this?
No, The Other PTA is an education and consultation membership site, not counseling. While our consultants are also professional counselors, our role here is different. The Other PTA provides an affordable, accessible, convenient way online for parents to learn about substance use and how to address it at all stages on the journey. There are online courses with video lessons and other resources by topic; inspirational and hopeful engagement; resources to help with treatment selection; and an opportunity to engage with other parents on the journey. Even the private consultations offered are not therapy. Consultants collect information about each family situation and offer solutions and resources to match identified needs.
I know my son is using, and there have been SOME problems, but how can I know if this is really addiction? If it's not, is this site really for me?
We know that not all substance use results in addiction, but when it does, we advocate for early treatment (rather than waiting for the proverbial "rock bottom"). The FREE mini-course "You're Not Sure It's Addiction" will help you draw some conclusions about whether use has likely progressed to addiction -- or at least if it has progressed enough to warrant engaging the services of a professional to offer further assessment. Even if use is not yet addictive, you may find that having more information and support from other parents helps until it's clear one way or another. You will find other parents in similar situations in the Thursday night Endurance Meeting for parents who do not believe there is an addiction but who are worried nonetheless.
I must admit that I'm pretty anxious about privacy and confidentiality. How can I know that people won't "air our dirty laundry" or otherwise break my confidentiality? What if someone knows me in the private Facebook group or tells someone else I'm on here?
My daughter has been to the same treatment center 3 times, and it just didn't work. Why should I even consider spending all that money again?
Treatment centers are like colleges, churches and Rotary Clubs. They may all study some of the same things, but they can vary a LOT depending on the culture, the values of the leadership, where they are located, and what kinds of facilities and services they offer. Sometimes treatment doesn't work because it's a bad fit for the patient, and sometimes it doesn't work because the patient is not yet willing enough to learn about addiction and to do the very hard work of recovery. If your son (or you) balked at aftercare recommendations, then that could explain why treatment didn't work. Our Parent Guide to Understand Rehab, Parent Guide to Choosing Treatment, and my book explaining the importance of aftercare could be very helpful. Other parents in the Endurance meeting discussions could be very helpful as well.
What People Are Saying
“Ginny brings warmth, strength, and hope to the most difficult circumstances. She doesn't give false hope or sugar coat a situation, instead, using her profound knowledge and ability to communicate clearly with love, she lays out a plan and walks with you toward better days. The advice she gives is not always easy to hear. Her directions are not always easy to take, however, she patiently encourages until progress is consistent. Most amazingly, Ginny has a unique ability to give hope to the hopeless and bring them to a place where they can once again love themselves. I can recommend Ginny without reservation."
Ginny Mills and her staff provided our family with an incredible amount of compassion, support and professionalism. She provided us with clear guidance based on her extensive knowledge and experience.
Ginny was recommended to our family and it turned out to be one of the best calls that we have ever made. It is a journey, but with Ginny's guidance, we now have hope.
Get Instant Access to Parenting Through Addiction
If you are ready to get the support, education, coaching and resources your family needs to manage your life on this journey toward recovery, click the "Join Now" button, and we'll see you inside.
Join Parenting Through Addiction
Your membership Includes
Access for the whole family
- Daily inspirational devotional delivered by email or podcast
- Weekly online Endurance meetings for parents. It's a great place to connect with other parents who "get it."
- Access to our private Facebook group where you can connect with other parents.
- Over 120 hours of content (a $20,400 value) that will help you Parent Through Addiction.
- Short video parent guides on specific topics requested by our members.
- Parenting Through Your Adult Child's Addiction Book.
- Want More Support! PTA offers a Consultation Level Memberships to support your family. This membership includes two private consultations with one of our licensed addiction professionals each month and more . Click Here to learn more!
$49 / month
If you are not completely satisfied with your experience at Parenting Through Addiction, just let us know and we will gladly refund your investment for the last 30 day period of your membership.